Friday 10 December 2010

More basso profundo choral music - and the virility of Orthodoxy

*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neiJ0xgblFo&feature=related

This music and this performance has a physical effect on me: I find myself frozen, holding my breath - and if I had any hair, it would be standing on-end, and bristling.

So be careful when you listen to this - and avoid if you are driving or operating dangerous machinery.

*

In passing, this is a (rather extreme, perhaps) demonstration of what I consider to be the virility of Orthodoxy compared with other denominations of Christianity; all of which have a certain... epicene quality about them to my mind. Not fatal, forgivable, preferable to the alternatives - yes... but for me it is a factor which I admit to finding off-putting. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that Orthodox priests are usually married patriarchs, while the monks tend to be heroically ascetic.

*

No comments: